recommend 2 good books which I happened to read simultaneously and made a connection:
http://is.gd/Nkzq1h
http://amzn.to/eZwFWM
ok so anyway, I was reading on video games and its really amazing the potential it has to made this world and our lives more fun and game-like, in reality! ok key points that relates to utopian pao...
there was a mention of Tetris, the greatest computer game of all time. it is a game you cannot win because it does not stop until you lose. but it is so addictive because of the intensity of the feedback it provides. visual feedback- see rows disappear. quantitative feedback- score ticking upwards. qualitative feedback-experience a steady increase in challenge as the bricks fall faster. players keep playing this game not to win but so as to be able to keep playing. in other words, it's the experience/the process/the journey and not achieving a specific goal at the end. which is somewhat related to the previous post on what utopia is – it's the journey and not the destination. tetris is called the 'infinite game' where we play in order to keep playing for as long as possible.
so I was thinking how to link this with utopia and architecture and bring pao in. pao is fictional so as utopia and this stands. and personally, I will like to do something related to fun,games,fiction,try some pixel art and stuff like that. then I read the 2nd book on utopia. some excerpts...
to count as a utopia, an imaginary place must be an expression of desire. utopias aim at a new world but must destroy the old. their imaginative excitement comes from the recognition that everything inside our heads and outside, are human constructs and can be changed. but how and what to change is endlessly controversial. however, without the capacity to formulate utopias, human progress would be inconceivable.(related to previous post). the aim of all utopias is to eliminate real people. real people are what constitute the world we know and it is the world that utopia is designed to replace. if real people cannot live in utopias, then the utopian effort to design an ideal commonwealth in which humans can lead happier lives is imperiled. the people who are admitted to live in utopias differ from real people in certain ways, e.g. disposed of real world's uglier features(communist link?) so 'utopians', the people who live in utopia, can be seen as somewhat different from humans. they can even be talking trees. so here I can bring in, what if it's an avatar or a fictional character?(pao) the existence of fundamental clashes of opinion in real people makes the construction of utopias difficult. the uniformity requisite in utopias cannot accommodate basic disagreements. here it seems like 'uniformity' is the key word. everything and everyone has to be at peace with each other, agree with everything, like we are all clones/brainwashed(communist again?)/very like-minded people. otherwise, utopia will just be for one person, you, alone.
I see a few similarities/pov with my initial thoughts and so came up with the idea of putting pao into a game world – tetris. tetris has blocks(architecture) and the design n shape of the tetris blocks are unique/recognisable, I think, that it is tetris. say images of pao in a tetris world. a variety of actions and interactions between pao and the blocks. (see sketches in 1st post) maybe even taking pao and the blocks outside of the format of tetris. I don't want it to be so direct like literally putting pao in a tetris game(maybe?) but still you will know those are tetris blocks when taken out of context. I think there needs to be an extra dimension, like pao's 3D. but I don't want to do 3D again. so I think, what if it's a 2D illustration with a 3D element(say the bricks) that protrudes out of the frame? and the frames are arranged like tetris blocks in the exhibition space...
I sound like I'm talking to my self, my utopian self. pls don't freak out and thanks for reading~ suggestions very welcomed!
i'm not quite sure where you are going with this actually. i understand your link from tetris to utopia. but i can't really formulate a clear image of it with your description. what will the audience gain out of your work?
ReplyDelete